If you're like many busy parents, putting together a simple and healthy family meal can be a challenge. Especially during the dark days of winter, it's easy to be tempted by "comfort" foods that may be high in saturated fat, sodium, and calories. However, choosing a few ingredients from your refrigerator, pantry or freezer and tossing them together for a quick and heart healthy meal can be just as comforting. Here’s some tips to help you get the most out of the ingredients you may already have on hand:
* Toss whole-wheat pasta with broccoli, garlic, canned no-salt-added tomatoes, and white (cannellini) beans. Season with fresh or dried herbs to taste.
* Make an omelet with an assortment of vegetables (such as mushrooms, red peppers, onions, spinach, etc.), and serve with a side of black beans and a small amount of grated cheddar cheese.
* Grill chicken breasts marinated in balsamic vinegar with olive oil. Serve with a spinach salad and brown rice.
* Brown lean ground turkey and mix with low-sodium tomato sauce over whole-wheat pasta. Serve with a green salad and fruit.
* Make a salad with tuna (use water-packed tuna and drain it first), sliced cucumber, black olives, crumbled feta cheese, and a small amount of reduced-calorie vinaigrette. Serve with a side of whole-wheat pita bread.