Ways to slash calories…….Lean Snacks, Sweets, Desserts, Beverages and
- Dip 1 cup celery into your favorite salsa or hummus instead of 1 oz. of tortilla chips. Save 125 calories!
- Eat an entire medium apple instead of a small (5 oz.) candy apple. Save 118 calories!
- Snack on 1 oz. of baked potato chips instead of regular chips. Save 90 Better yet, eat 2 oz. pretzels instead of the same size portion of potato chips. Save 94 calories!
- Bake 2 oz of oven fries in lieu of 2 oz. of fast food fries. Save 88
- Forgo a 6-oz portion of potato chips and nosh on 6 oz. of tortilla chips instead. Save 96 calories!
- Say no to 1 oz of deep-fried onion rings and instead enjoy 1 oz. of grilled onions with your meal. Save 92 calories!
- Try 1.5 oz. of fresh grapes instead of 1.5 oz. of raisins. Save 98
- Enjoy a healthy 8-oz. baked potato instead of 8 oz. of French fries. Save 104
- Choose 3 oz of mozzarella cheese for your sandwich instead of Swiss cheese. Save 108 calories!
- Swap 1 cup of canned pineapple in heavy syrup for crushed pineapple in water. Save 119 calories!
Lean Sweets and Desserts
- Serve ice cream in a dish instead of a waffle cone. Save 121 calories!
- Try a healthier peanut granola bar instead of a peanut candy bar. Save 94 calories!
- Finish dinner with 1 cup of low-fat frozen yogurt instead of regular ice cream. Save 121 calories!
- Substitute 5 oz. of apple pie, with 5 oz. of baked apple crisp. Save 85 calories!
- Instead of 4 oz. of regular chocolate pudding, enjoy a sugar-free portion. Save 92calories!
- Leave that 1/2 cup of strawberry ice cream in the freezer. Enjoy 1/2 cup of fresh strawberries topped with 2 Tbsp of fat-free whipped cream as an alternative. Save 102 calories!
- Split a 20 oz. bottle of regular soda with a friend. Save 120 calories!
- Drink 1 cup of diet soda instead of 1 cup of regular soda. Save 97 calories!
- Swap a 12-oz. glass of skim milk for whole milk. Save 96 calories!
- Drink two 12-oz. light beers this weekend instead of two regular beers. Save 100 calories!
- Instead of 1 cup of prepared lemonade, try 1 cup of a sugar free variety. Save 103 calories!
- Eat a medium orange instead of drinking 12 oz. of fresh orange juice. Save 106 calories!
- Prepare your coffee with 4 oz. of fat-free half and half instead of regular half and half. Save 88 calories!
- Enjoy 5 oz. of chocolate milk instead of 5 oz. of a chocolate milkshake Save 110 calories!
Lean Condiments and Sauces
- Dip your salad in a side of ranch dressing (2 tsp.) instead of pouring 2 Tbsp of dressing on the salad. Save 97 calories!
- Skip the 5 oz. of Alfredo sauce and eat a whopping 7 oz. of marinara sauce. Save 129 calories!
- Add flavor to vegetables with 3 oz. of hot sauce—not 1 oz of bleu cheese dressing. Save 117 calories!
- Top your salad with 1.5 oz. reduced-fat Italian dressing instead of regular. Save 96 calories!
- Try either cheese or croutons on your salad—not both Save 72-116 calories!
- Instead of 3 oz. of regular sour cream, use a fat-free variety. Save 120 calories!
- Use 2 Tbsp reduced-fat light mayonnaise instead of regular mayonnaise. Save 102 calories!
— Jaime Brenkus Health Tip 15